Hey! My name is Josslyn, I am a transfer student at TRU in my third year of study; pursuing a career in elementary school teaching. I have a background in classical music, and have achieved my music diploma with “voice” as my major. Although history has been a core subject throughout my musical studies, it was centred around musically rich countries such as England or Germany; leaving my knowledge of Canadian history relatively bare. Upon taking an introductory Canadian history class with Tracy Penny Light, I am able to understand why and how my native country came to be. My understanding of early Canadian history was enlightened by “reading between the lines” of the popular, well known events. As a Canadian woman who has experience in the wilderness, I was really excited to explore a topic that encapsulated the strength of two particular women in the wilderness of Canada, as well as their unique relationships with the Indigenous women. I have chose English as one of my “teachables”, and by reading primary documents for certain assignments, and for my own research, I was intrigued by how Canada was portrayed through literature with nature as a communal theme. I am currently enrolled in British Columbia History next semester, and I am hopeful that this course has prepared me for my future studies.